Thursday, August 16, 2012

Lessons on Death


My beloved grandfather passed away last week.  It was shocking news for the whole family because it was a sudden death – on the same day my younger brother celebrated his 25th birthday. For my younger brother, his every birthday would always be a blessing and a remembrance of our once beloved Lolo Tasing.

Just this weekend, on the night before his funeral, I was informed that he had barely four years to live – and our family was grateful that he started spending those remaining 4 years with our family – where he felt that he is loved and taken cared of. (I’ve been watching his video taken when we got our first home, when he helped out painting even with his crane, where he winked and danced and smiled and laughed and joked around. He was sooo alive in that video!)


He was a fun-loving, young at heart (he often says he’s just 16 years old!), free-spirited old man.  He once dreamed to be a lawyer.  He got awarded in Malacanang Palace for his good works in our local baranggay in Bacolod City.  He drafted a bill in the Congress and had it approved in order to protect the environment and fishery in Samar, Leyte. (How I wish I can have a copy of that bill!)

Those are his social achievements – and I’ve just known them within the last couple of years.  For all those years that I’m growing up, his best achievement for me was being someone who encourages me to study hard, someone who rewards me whenever I get honors in school (this is always the best part as a kid!).  He never failed to let me know how happy he is for having me as his granddaughter – and he never failed to make me feel good.  He filled me with love and lessons that can always be learned at the foot of an elderly.

His death taught me that:

Presence provides comfort. As most of you know, I am currently working abroad.  I wasn’t at home to give comfort to my family, specially to my Mama (Lolo is her father).  Presence is always necessary – and being thousand miles away from home, wherein I also needed comfort, is the saddest fact that I have to endure.

Time is priceless. If you have the chance to say “I love you” now, then do it NOW! I’m glad we made him feel loved during those years he was with us – that he was able to experience what a family would feel like.  I’m happy that I was able to hear his voice a week before his sudden death.  I was able to joke around and laugh with him during that phone conversation. (I never realised that it was going to be the last chance I would talk to him.)

 Laugh everyday. Being a free-spirited man, my Lolo taught me that every seconds in life should be spent with a heart of gratitude and laughters.

Here's a video of a song I dedicated to my Lolo Tasing:


Thank you to everyone who prayed for our family during our moment of grief.

Always,
Lyn-Lyn \(“,)/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...